Northern Ireland has a global reputation for food safety. Pioneering research is being carried out at Queen’s University Belfast’s Institute for Global Food Security, a centre which advises the UK and other governments on food safety.
The agri-food sector is our most successful industry so it comes as no surprise that we are leaders in food security research. Queen’s is leading the world in addressing one of the greatest global challenges – how to ensure the safety of our food. Not only this but the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) carries out high technology research and development, statutory, analytical, and diagnostic testing functions for government departments, public bodies and commercial companies.
- Queen’s University Belfast is ranked No.1 for food science in the UK (REF 2014)
- Queen’s University Belfast Institute for Global Food Security is leading the world in addressing three of the greatest global challenges: farms of the future, nutrition challenges and global food integrity
- Queen’s Institute for Global Food Security (IGFS) is now part of a new knowledge and innovation community, EIT Food, a large-scale public- private innovation partnership of 50 leading companies, universities and scientific partners, covering the entire food value chain.
- The Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute Hillsborough are a founder member of the UK-wide Centre of Innovation and Excellence in livestock (CIEl)
- Food NI provides a single promotional voice for Northern Ireland’s food and drink
- Professor Chris Elliott, Institute for Global Food Security, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Nigel Scollan Director of the Institute for Global Food Security, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Gordon Allan, School of Biological Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Mike Johnston, Chief Executive of the Dairy Council for Northern Ireland
- Dr. Katrina Campbell, School of Biological Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Paulo Prodohl School of Biological Sciences, Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Sinclair Mayne Chief Executive, AFBINI
- Ian Stevenson Chief Executive, Livestock and Meat Commission
You're in Good Company
- Food Integrity and Traceability Conference 2018
- EuroFed Lipid 2017
- International Dairy Federation 2017
- Annual Meeting of the European Federation of Animal Science 2016
- 18th International Conference on Diseases of Fish and Shellfish (EAFP) 2017
- Inland Fisheries Management Conference 2017
- EU/North America Agricultural Policy Congress 2015